Director of Project Engineering
Environmental Air Systems (High Point)
This individual will serve as the engineering lead on assigned EAS projects, responsible for identifying required engineering products, developing and reviewing piping and instrumentation diagrams, equipment schedules, air flow diagrams, assembly and fabrication drawings, bills of materials, end item specification, and managing a multi-disciplinary team in executing the engineering deliveries. He/she oversees product design, supervises all development and implementation of the project and is actively involved in any other project related work.
Job responsibilities include:
- The tasks related to a project leader are numerous and varied. Each project has different specifications, goals, environmental conditions, and financial considerations. Below is a list of general job duties of a project leader, though these will vary depending on the specific project.
- Reviews project plans and proposals, then works with management to develop project objectives. Identifies project responsibilities by determining the phases and elements of the project.
- Prepares and distributes a description and timeline of the project. Develop a schedule of events based on information provided by preconstruction team to meet the project deliverables such as submittals, coordination drawings, product delivery and documentation.
- Studies product design, customer requirements performance standards, then determines project performance specifications. Presents cost estimates and performance standards when ready to submit the engineering package.
- Develop project Submittals which include performance criteria, General Arrangement drawings, Engineering Details, and all other documentation required to get the submittal ready for approval.
- Develop a P&ID from the process flow diagram for the project system.
- Work with designer to develop an engineered design drawing that meets the intent of the proposal and the performance of the equipment.
- Identify the technical scope of effort, including major equipment, electrical, mechanical, and controls components.
- Ensure customer technical requirements are addressed in design throughout development process.
- Coordinate project design and submittals through approval process.
- Review and approve design drawings, fabrication drawings, bills of materials.
- Resolve fabrication ship, vendor, and site issues with engineering drawings, procedures and specifications.
- Manage the project cost to meet or beat the pricing provided in the estimate.
- Work with the client’s point of contact to coordinate the delivery, submittal approval, and all other customer service functions from the time the project is acquired to the time it is shipped and started up.
- Reviews vendor pricing and subcontractor bids. Through project coordination meetings and other forms of communication, oversees and coordinates the technical aspects of the project.
- Prepares status reports and regularly monitors budgets, contractors/vendor and schedules. Allocates project resources appropriately; approves expenditures; employee contractor contracts. Keeps an accurate record and electronic data base of all elements of the projects.
- Presents procedures, rules and regulations to those involved in the project; maintains a safe, clean and productive environment through enforcing procedures. Maintains project integrity and reputation through compliance with Environmental Air Systems Standard practices.
- This position requires a four year degree in mechanical engineering or design, plus substantial related practical experience in HVAC project engineering. This position also requires a minimum of five years applied experience.
- Education and years of experience may be waved as determined by the High Point Director of Project Engineering.
JOB REQUIREMENTS/SPECIAL SKILLS
- A minimum of 5+ years’ experience in Industrial HVAC, energy service contracting (ESCO), central refrigeration plant, renewable energy or energy efficiency field.
- A minimum of 5+ years’ project engineering experience.
- A minimum of 5+ years’ experience using process simulation software.
- Must be proficient component selections such as Fans and Coils in Major OEM software such as Greenheck CAPS and Aerofin Coil selector.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, etc.)
- Excellent understanding of applicable product design including but not limited to Custom Air Handling Units, Chilled Water Plants, Boiler Plants, HVAC Duct and Piping Systems.
- Good understanding of manufacturing processes.
- Good unit layout and design skills required.
- Possess a “can do” attitude.
- Interpersonal skills for coordinating projects and supervising team draftsmen.
- Ability to interface with customers of varying backgrounds and from different engineering disciplines.
- Be able to juggle multiple needs from both internal and customers.
- Proficiency in technical writing.
- Ability to prepare and review plan, section, details, flow diagrams, piping and instrumentation diagrams, input/output lists, operation logic tables, etc.
- Active member of ASHRAE or ASME.
- Familiar with heat exchanger design and rating program.
- Estimating and bid tabulation experience is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of CAD drafting practices is a plus.
- Mechanical, electrical, controls, and instrumentation systems knowledge and experience.